Subject: Re: Two Evenings at the Teatro San Carlo: Puccini's _Manon Lescaut_(Very long)
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Jun 2017 15:54:24 -0400

This is the kind of thing I wish there was more of on Operalist; being
something of a recluse after all these years, vicarious pleasures are
becoming the ones I depend on.   Thank you, Harris Saunders, - not
a frequently encountered name here, but a welcome one.  I can't
imagine a more engaging and informative account of what it is like to
experience opera in Naples as an American tourist.   There is in it
even a comment I can quibble with: I would dig deeper into my pockets
for a good performance of the Puccini work than for Massenet's, any
day, any where.  But maybe, if staged as dreadfully as you describe,
it wasn't that good a performance.  I hope the musical aspects were
more satisfying: I was quite taken with the Butterfly of Maria Jose Siri
last December at La Scala, (via Youtube).

dtmk