Subject: Re: SIGN OF THE CROSS (Formerly, Baum..but.......}
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Jun 2017 15:00:54 -0400

The dying Don Alvaro? Veramente?

Carlo dies offstage, fatally wounded by Alvaro. Leonora dies, fatally wounded by Carlo in
his last moment of life. Alvaro lives, and sings "morta" after Leonora passes. Seems to me
that if Guardiano is making the sign of anything over anyone, it's Leonora. Tucker or no
Tucker. ;-)

Alvaro may indeed have been wounded in the duel as well - but I've never seen a
production where he dies.

Or was this some regie production, before they were called that? ;-)

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:47:22 -0400, RAYMOND GOUIN <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Jerome Hines told me that, when he appeared in Forza with Richard Tucker, at the end of
the opera -- where he has to make the sign of the cross over the dying Don Alvaro -- he
instead substituted making a Star of David.  :)