Subject: Re: MAJOR (AND DISCOURAGING ?) CHANGE AT WASHINGTON NATIONAL OPERA
From: John Greiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 25 Jun 2017 20:17:28 -0400

I'm not totally surprised.  I don't think the Washington Opera has any focus these days, and it was clear they were under-utilizing him.  And I don't think Zambello is the answer or can bring any focus to the company.  I think her directing skills are really declining, and I think her true focus is on Glimmerglass.   One thing Washington Opera needs to do - period - is  get a Director who is focused on the WASHINGTON OPERA.  Zambello is doing double duty, Domingo did double duty with LA Opera, in both cases they were far more interested in their other companies than D.C.  The company's hey-day was when they had Fienstein and he did not do double duty (nor did George London before him.)

D.C.'s biggest problems remain their physical productions, until and unless they get a handle on that, Washington Opera will continue to decline as an entity.  So much of what they have been doing is obviously cheap and often incompetent, yet they keep trying to charge like they are offering major productions.

I was really surprised to see two modern operas on the bill, and amazed to see Champion was being put on in the Opera House for 8 performances.  I had seen the opera in St. Louis, which seats under 1,000 people in that theater.  No way they were ever going to remotely fill the Opera House, esp after Champion was essentially a failure.   (Very Interesting story, probably make a really good movie, but as an opera the music added nothing.)

As I think you know (if you get the same Kennedy Center emails I do), they discounted everything they offered this season for half price or less.  I didn't go to anything they offered because I'd either already seen it or had no desire to see it the way they staged it (Butterfly) I will probably only go to Alcina the next only because I haven't seen it before.  And will sit in the balcony (cheap seats) as one thing Washington Opera has shown in the last "x" years is their productions are NOT worth shelling out big bucks on.

Best,

John Greiner