Subject: Re: Baum..but.......
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 25 Jun 2017 13:51:41 -0700

The book was written by Bruce Burroughs and I have read parts of it and it
is a marvelous book.  Milanov had a pretty interesting life that even most
of her fans are not aware of.  I doubt it will ever be published unless an
"angel" pays for it.  At least in America, books about opera singers and
classical musicians in general, there is no market.  Period.  Years ago
when there was still a chance, one publisher asked him how Callas' career
affected Milanov and when he replied not at all, they weren't interested.
As for Europe, outside of Croatia, there would probably be no interest
either.  I don't think editing was the issue.  It was getting a publisher
and having the money to publish it.  Leonard Warren's biography was paid
for.  Astrid Varnay's bio was published in Germany first.  I'm not sure if
anyone paid for it to be published here but it was in existence before.
Like it or not, out of sight, out of mind.  And in a culture that places
little or no value on the traditional classical arts, opera singer
biographies are ephemeral and unmarketable.

Donald