Subject: Re: Kaufman in Otello… NY Times:
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 22 Jun 2017 20:35:44 -0400

Max - I'm confused. The E above middle C is just below the passagio for a tenor (or the
lowest end of it) - it's essentially the top of the middle range. (The first pitch of "Di quella
pira.") Is it possible you meant an octave higher than that? (i.e. in the range of the Puritani
high F, and also in the range where metal/hard rock singers usually wail?)

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 17:18:35 -0700, Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It's somewhat like reading about a tenor singing a high C (or even B-flat) "in chest voice." If
anybody sang any note higher than the E above middle C in chest voice, it would be a shout.
The B-flat or C above that in chest voice would be an appalling scream.