Subject: Re: lesser known operas
From: Mark Schubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 25 Jun 2017 10:38:26 -0400

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 10:00 AM, gordon young <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The other day reading the New York Times I read an article on Milhaud's "La
> Mere Coupable". My question is, do any opera-lers ever go to these small
> productions? If I lived in NYC these would be some of the performances I
> would make sure to see. Do any of our NYC members ever go to these
> interesting events?
> Gordon

Yes.  I was at the reviewed performance as well as at the previous two
productions in On Site Opera's Figaro project: Marcos Portugal's "The
Marriage of Figaro" and Giovanni Paisiello's "The Barber of Seville."
Earlier this year, I attended The Little Opera Theatre of New York's
production of Carlisle Floyd's "Prince of Players," MSM Opera
Theatre's production of Johann Strauss II's "The Gypsy Baron,"
LoftOpera's production of Rossini's "Otello," and Opera Lafayette's
production of Rameau's "Les Indes Gallantes" (I was out of town for
their NYC performance of Gaveaux's "LĂ©onore, ou L'Amour conjugal," but
my wife attended).

I particularly like "wrong-composer" operas and have previously seen,
from New York's smaller companies, Leoncavallo's "Boheme" and
Rachmaninoff's "Francesca da Rimini."  Interestingly, the same season
that On Site Opera did Paisiello's "Barber" so did dell'Arte Opera
Ensemble (they also did Hiram Titus's "Rosina" as part of their
Beaumarchais trilogy).

I will be happy to send my latest list of NYC's opera companies (116
of them) on request.

TTFN,
Mark