Subject: Re: Question about Callas Letter
From: "David M. Wagner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Jun 2017 22:44:41 -0400

I think the reasons Baum had the career he did are:

1. a high C to die for, if you survived the rest of his voice;
2. absolute reliability (never cancelled, always had the voice you expected whether you liked it or not, and was never out of taxi-range of the Met, bc who else wanted him?) - which leads to...
3. absolute availability to step in for Bjoerling, when the latter was "indisposed." At the risk of trafficking in rumor, and I'm glad to be called out on it if I am, Baum owed much of his career to Bjoerling's losing battle with the aquavit bottle.

-David Wagner

Sent from my iPhone