Subject: Otello at the Met - Carlo Cossutta
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Jun 2017 20:02:02 -0400

There have been many great individual Otello performances
during my years of attending opera, McCracken, Vickers, Leonie,
Tucci, iMilanov, Lorengar, Te Kanawa, Caballe, Gobbi, and others
I have forgotten, but
often left out of discussions of wonderful performances at the Met,
though, in this instance, not by the Met, was -

Paris Opera - 1976 - Margaret Price, Carlo Cossutta, Gabriel
Bacquier, conducted by Solti.

Margaret Price was superb, Cossutta worthy of comparison
with the greatest (he was magnificent) and Bacquier was at
least the equal of Gobbi, which is the highest praise I can imagine.
With Solti leading the way (a conductor whom I often dislike) it was
among the great opera events in my long experienc.

Bob