Subject: Re: Kaufman in Otello…NY Times:
From: A Katalin Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Jun 2017 23:48:32 +0100

I just got back from the performance, and I know that many of you will recall John Vickers and other greats who made Othello extraordinary in ways that cannot be matched, but in my somewhat shorter lifetime, Domingo in his best prime was MY Othello, and Kaufmann has just taken the mantle…. He could not be more overwhelmingly wonderful… His “dio mi potevi scagliar” brought tears to my eyes, his extraordinary ability to go from the lowest baritonal sounds to the highest sotto voce or ringing tones without any effort was beyond this world. I am not as good as any of you to analyze his singing beyond this, and will not try. He totally inhabited the role, at times frightening in his intensity, and there is no need to tell any woman what he looked like in those leather pants…. The sound at Covent Garden was spectacular, Pappano, his orchestra and chorus were overwhelming in the ambassador scene, with Agresta leading them just so gorgeously. Strangely during her next bedroom scene the audience began to get restless, there was a lot of coughing and strange noises, which detracted from her Willow Song and Ave Maria, she also went slightly flat at the end, but I don’t think many people heard that.
My problems were the same as some critics, the self-indulgence of the director in adding touches that were totally unnecessary, but which did not manage to upstage the drama created by Jonas, Agresta and the excellently evil Vratogna.
I know that most of you will thoroughly enjoy the telecast, whenever it gets to your respective towns.  I for one am very much looking forward to meeting Othello again on July 16.
Kati

Katalin Mitchell
Press and Media Relations Representative
Commonwealth Shakespeare Company/BabsonARTS
231 Forest Street / Sorenson Center / Babson Park, MA 02457
OUR AMERICAN HAMLET <http://commshakes.org/performances/performance/171> | BECKETT IN BRIEF <http://commshakes.org/performances/performance/172> | JULIUS CAESAR <http://commshakes.org/performances/performance/151> |ROMEO & JULIET <http://commshakes.org/performances/performance/162>
 Visit us online:
 http://commshakes.org <http://commshakes.org/>
 http://twitter.com/commshakes
 http://facebook.com/commshakes