Subject: Re: Tebaldi and Baum/Met Archives
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Jun 2017 11:19:05 -0700

Drat, and you thought you had them!!!!  Actually Baum in the 40's was not
all that bad, in fact, he could be rather good.  Maybe another case of
being around too long?  I have seen his birth as listed between 1899 and
1908.  Either way, he began singing in the late 20's, early 30's and was
the amateur heavy weight boxing champion of Czechoslovakia in his youth.
Take that Richard Tucker and Beniamino Gigli.  LOL.  Ezio Pinza was a
champion bicycle ride but then again, he always looked the part.

When he (Baum) made his Met debut in 1941 as the Italian Singer in
Rosenkavalier, he actually garnered good reviews. The role probablyi fit
him like a glove, it allowed him to preen and it sat mostly between the
passagio and high C (not the drink).   Likewise, as Don Alvaro in the prima
cast of La Forza in 1943 opposite Edward Johnson's favorite soprano Zinka
Milanov, Lawrence Tibbett and Ezio Pinza.  Under some little know German
kappelmeister, what's his name?  Oh, Herr Bruno Walter.  The bridal chamber
scene from Lohengrin that he recorded with Helen Traubel is really quite
good.  He holds his own very well against that titanic voice.  A heavy rep
for many years and maybe by the 50's while the voice was clearly in tact,
the beauty or whatever beauty it might have had was gone and not
compensated for by the superb high notes which he seemed to always have at
his command.  For beauty of sound he had to compete against Tucker and for
prettiness of visage (and voice) against Del Monaco.  Perhaps a loosing
battle.  Baum was many things but pretty was not one of them.

So, there you are.  As with most singers, life is a mixed bag.  Baum was no
ones favorite tenor (except his own) but he really wasn't all that bad, at
least early on he could be rather good.

Donald