Subject: Re: Kaufman in Otello… NY Times:
From: Michael McPherson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Jun 2017 13:01:52 -0400

On Jun 23, 2017, at 11:39 AM, albert innaurato <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm not going to dismiss McCracken, who especially in the first years of
> his fame, was an Otello of torrential abandon despite an equivocal sounding
> voice and poor Italian

I bow to no one in my admiration of Albert and his postings. I always learned from him and I appreciate it.

That being said, I must be a little more enthusiastic about McCracken’s Otello. His was the must exciting version of this killer role that I have ever heard. It seemed that in the half dozen or so Otellos I heard, he was throwing everything he had into that night’s performance. It was truly thrilling. I actually was not a fan of his in other operas but his Otello performance will stick in my memory for a long time.