Subject: Re: Kaufman in Otello… NY Times:
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 23 Jun 2017 10:47:54 -0700

I am going to have to agree with Albert on this.  I have heard Kaufmann
many times, first in Chicago years ago when he debuted as Cassio to the
Otello of Ben Heppner.  It was a very different voice then from the dark,
ingolata sound we hear now.  I yield to no one in allowing Kaufmann what he
does well.  He is muscianly, a fine interpreter and the voice works.  He
has his technique and it serves him well.  My problem is the muscularity
and throatiness of the sound.  It is all dark, there is no light, no
brightness at all in the voice although the top can be thrilling.  And, it
is not a big voice.  Yes, it is ample, he cuts and can be heard, but it is
not a big sound.  He might very well be the best that we have and I have no
doubt that he would have been a major player at any time in recent operatic
history but I have never been able to get as thrilled as others have about
him.

Jon Vickers was probably the greatest Otello I ever heard and I've heard
most of the important ones since 1965, many, multiple times.  The
combination of art, pathos and vocal quality was unequaled.  At his best,
it was a monumental portrayal exceedingly well sung and yes, the top could
be a problem but when it worked, it was superb and there was always an
obvious tenor sound to the voice.  This was no pushed up baritone.  His
Siegmund was overwhelming, equaled in my experience only by James King.  I
have heard Kaufmann's Siegmund in the theatre and I was not overwhelmed.
Vickers here was in a class of his own (of course excepting Melchior).
Also magnificent was his Don Jose, Canio, Parsifal and of course Peter
Grimes.  His Handel was pretty good also.  A great Samson, both Handel and
Saint-Saens.  Jon ickers was a force of nature.

The singer who most resembles Kaufmann in the extreme darkness of his voice
was James McCracken but he could produce a massive sound and his Otello was
heartbreaking to the extreme.  Atlantov had a magnificent voice with a true
tenors ring.  This was a marvelous instrument whose best years were before
he was allowed a relatively unfettered access to the west.  I am not going
to dump on Domingo except to say that the Domingo/Pavarotti machine
probably was the undoing of more than a few wonderful tenors who should
have had more exposure.  Carlos Cossutta was a magnificent Otello.  The
voice was beautiful, he sang beautifully and as Albert says, he was a
moving Otello, a serious contender.

The big elephant in the room is of course Mario Del Monaco.  I never heard
him live - his best years and his American career were just a bit before my
time but from what I can hear of his recordings, especially the early ones,
he had it all and if he were around today would blow Mr. Kaufmann out of
the water.  He tends to be dismissed today as a loud bawler but he was
definitely not.  Almost everyone I knew who did hear him live has a
different story to tell.

Again, for all of you Kaufmannites out there, I don't want to diss him, nor
do I want to dismiss him.  I just wish there was a bit more light and
brightness in the voice.  The constant darkness is off-putting, at least to
me.  I am going to see the Covent Garden showing on July 17 and will give
it a shot.  I've changed my opinion before, most noticeably about Sondra
Radvanovsky -  was never a fan until I heard the Norma, Anna Bolena and
Elisabetta.

Donald