Subject: Question about Callas Letter
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 23 Jun 2017 13:36:40 -0400

I am reading the book 'Callas On Callas', which prints her early letters to
Meneghini, who evidently released them to defend himself against some rather
nasty things she was saying about him after she took up with Onassis.
Neither of them comes off very well, I thought -- he looking almost
consciously indifferent to her in the pictures and she in the letters with
the over the top lovey-dovey prattle to a man his age making plausible
suspicions of gold-digging.  But the contents are fascinating.  There is one
letter she writes about the famous Mexico City 'Aida' that is both very
funny and contains an expression I am hoping someone can explain.

She says:  "Baum is worse than a jealous woman.  He never stops insulting
me.  And he is furious because at the end of 'Aida' I achieved a sharp flat.
 The audience was delirious and he shook with rage."

In another letter she uses this same phrase "to sharp a flat', leading me to
think it must be an Italian idiom, but one which I have never read or heard
before.

Thanks for any help.

David Kubiak