Subject: Re: Caruso favorites
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 23 Jun 2017 09:06:56 -0700

Right off the top of my hat, hard to say but my vote would go to two of
 his later recordings, first the O souverain o juge o pere from Le Cid,
1915 or 16 i think and then one of his last, the 1920 Rachel quand du
seigneur, even with the gasps and realization that all was not right with
his health, this is a monumental reading that tells you everything you need
to know about Caruso.  As with Ponselle, Flagstad, Ruffo and only a few
others, there is something unique here about the voice and how it relates
to the music that cannot be quantified.

Donald