Subject: Re: Caruso favorites
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 23 Jun 2017 11:49:51 -0400

Yet another vote for "Rachel quand du Seigneur."   When I want to
demonstrate the power and beauty of sound that comes out of my various
Victrolas this is the record I always put on and it never fails to amaze.
In fact, I buy up any 78s of this I see to reduce wear on any given copy.
Taking it a step further, I have translations from the French at hand for
the non-opera types to make sure they appreciate the intensity pouring out
of both tenor and machine.

Two Meyerbeer selections are among my favorites:

From Huguenots - "Bianca al par di neve alpina" (Plus Blanche...), and "O
Paradiso" from L'Africana, though I also agree with "Over There," "A
vucchella" (Ponselle also does this to a turn), and the Lombardi trio