Subject: Re: Caruso favorites
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 23 Jun 2017 11:14:39 -0400

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 9:45 AM, ANGELO MAMMANO <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Indisputably - for me, at any rate - the greatest Caruso recording
> is Rachel Quand Du Seigneur.

Seconded (thirded/fourthed)!

I also love him in ensembles in which my ultimate favorites would be his
PEARL FISHERS duet with Mario Ancona and probably the I LMOBARDI trio with
Alda and Journet, though I might *slightly* prefer Gigli-Rethberg-Pinza in
the latter.

One of my most beautiful travel memories was a visit to the Napa/Sonoma
valley in the company of varied friends, none of whom were fans of opera or
Neapolitan songs. Those were the days when tapes rather than CDs were more
common in cars and, right before we got on our daily trip, in one of San
Francisco's shops with street tables I saw the selection of Italian songs
with Caruso and quickly bought it. I asked my company to briefly hear some
of it while we were driving (there were 6 of us crammed in a large rental
car - those were the best of student days!). The moment I heard the first
song, my heart fluttered and I don't know what exactly was my facial
expression, but there was some sparkle (in my friends' words) that was
apparently so contagious that my friends decided our whole trip, to and
back from the wine country, will be Caruso and Neapolitan songs! There was
that perfect harmonious sunshine in the Californian surroundings, glorious
Caruso's voice, and lovely Neapolitan songs. If I have to pick one, then I
would honor his own favorite, Tosti's "A vucchella."

Best, Vesna