Subject: Re: Kaufman in Otello… NY Times:
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 23 Jun 2017 10:39:59 -0400

I first hear Kaufmann singing Alfredo on a Met broadcast of "Traviata."  Like some others, I
was initially put off by his baritonal sound, which while expressive I thought was all wrong for
the part of Alfredo.  But I do remember thinking, after the confrontation scene in Act II, that
this tenor should be singing Otello one day.  The sound of the voice was perfect for the part
and even on the radio the heft and projection were apparent.

Of course, I have since come to regard Kaufmann as one of the great tenors of my long
experience, and the greatest of this time.  His Siegmund and Parsifal were on par with those
of Jon Vickers, and his Don Jose was one of the best I've ever heard, live or on record.  It is a
great pity that he does not perform in this country more often.  Our loss.

MDW