Subject: Re: Caruso favorites
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 23 Jun 2017 07:39:40 -0400

I am one of those who considers Caruso abut as great a combination
of voice and vocalism as ever stood before a microphoe. Not all of
his recordings are defining, for sure, but none are less than impressive.

My two personal favorites are not operatic, but they are among the
most memorable vocal documents I know -

The Lost Chord and Over There, unique, and once heard, never forgotten.

If you have to hear one operatic aria I woud choose -
La donna e mobile or Vesti la giubba. They were recorded multiple
times and any will do just fine. There is a reason why they are
as famous as they are. Received wisdom is sometimes true
wisdom.

Among my favorites, not because of him, though he is fine,
is O soave Fanciulla with Nellie Melba. She ends it with as
perfectly placed a top C as I've ever heard. It is jaw dropping!
Not the most imaginative of singers, but she knew what technique
was all about.

Bob