Subject: Re: Kaufman in Otello… NY Times:
From: Amaury Leclerc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 22 Jun 2017 23:41:56 -0400

Kaufmann is a wonderful singer, and I don't doubt he was an excellent Otello.
However he does not remind me at all of Jon Vickers who I heard a lot, or of Vinay
who I only know from records. I don't think Zachary Woolfe heard either.
Vickers' voice was much larger and brighter. Kaufmann has a baritonal darkness in
the middle voice which he then miraculously opens into a brighter top. It's not the
huge, wall-shaking sound Vickers had, but the top is far more reliable. Also
personality wise they are completely different. Vickers performed almost in a
trance, with a wildness that was practically frightening (in Otello or Grimes) but
thrilling. Kaufmann is much more suave and controlled, even when he's
passionate, he's not unhinged. Vickers was. Kaufmann is of course much more the
romantic lead, handsome and youthful in appearance.
I'll let someone who saw him analyze Vinay, but to me he sounds much more like
the pushed up baritone without Vickers flair or Kaufmann technical grace.
Imo Kaufmann and Vickers are both great, but in different ways. I'm not raising a
polemic, just pointing out that the Times' comparison is not really accurate.