Subject: Re: Operatic color schemes
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 Jun 2017 12:07:20 -0400

Max Paley said:

"When Leonie Rysanek came to San Francisco to sing her first Ortruds in
1982, she was shocked at Beni Montresor's pink and gold sets as well as
the costumes. Her comment: "But I thought "Lohengrin" was a BLUE
opera!"

I think Rysanek's color scheme comes from Thomas Mann's famous
description of the music of the Lohengrin overture as "silberne-blaue"
(silver-blue).  To the extent one can ascribe colors to music,  I think this is
a pretty good description.

Speaking of colors in opera, my grandmother (a musician who instilled in
me my love for music and opera in particular) once told me a funny story
about a performance of "Le Nozze di Figaro" she attended in Vienna in the
late 50s.  The cast included Schwarzkopf, Seefried, Ludwig and Fischer-
Dieskau and was conducted by (as I recall) either Bohm or Karajan.  I was
very impressed and asked her how it was.  She said, "We left after the
second act."  Stunned, I asked why.  She said, "Well, in Act II,
Schwarzkopf was wearing a puce-colored dress, and the walls of her
boudoir were pink.  And that dress and those walls kept saying dirty words
to each other all through the act.  And I was so upset by the end that I told
your grandfather we had to leave."

Imagine, walking out on a performance like that.  Now THAT'S color
sensitivity!

MDW