Subject: Operatic color schemes
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 Jun 2017 07:16:34 -0700

When Leonie Rysanek came to San Francisco to sing her first Ortruds in 1982, she was shocked at Beni Montresor's pink and gold sets as well as the costumes. Her comment: "But I thought "Lohengrin" was a BLUE opera!"

Do others here think of certain operas as associated with color schemes? If so, do you find yourself unsettled when a production is markedly different from your association.

I know I think of "Siegfried" as a green opera, dominated by forestry, at least until the last scene. That made me very bothered by Francesca Zambello's industrial greys, particularly for Act 2.

I also tend to think of "Parsifal" in terms of greenery. Hence I found myself off balance with the austere white of Lehnhof's production.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad