Subject: Re: orchestration and tuning (diapason)
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:42:23 -0400

Allow me to disagree. A half step is a sizable gap and
for many singers it would make the difference between comfort
and discomfort. It also lowers the basic tessitura from top to
bottom. How many singers, especially tenors, have transposed
arias a half tone over the centuries - Che gelida manina. Salut
demeure, the Pira and... They would not have to, or would they?
We have no idea, I guess, how slow that transition was. For
instance, would Puccini have written Che gelida manina in
a key that would reflect a top D flat, had Handel's tuning fork been
the standard when he wrote La Boheme. We keep talking about
how standard transpositions distort the composer's intentions.
Well?

Bob