Subject: Re: Tosca and high Cs
From: Patrick Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Jun 2017 13:15:38 -0400

I realize this is a slightly Metcentric group, but I have always been the
most impressed with the Lady Macbeth of Marisa Galvany. Her range was
extraordinary, from those subterranean chest notes to a blazing and secure top.
I saw her for the first time in Attila, and have been a fan ever since.
Luckily  there are many live recordings of her. I love the film of a concert she
did with  Ramey, and Theyard, and the Canadian television broadcast of
Macbeth. The live  recording of her NYC Opera Abigaille is ferocious, even in
comparison to early  Callas.

Patrick Byrne

In a message dated 6/20/2017 11:15:42 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

On Jun  20, 2017, at 11:55 AM, Geoffrey Riggs <[log in to unmask]>  wrote:

>>>Of course, Lady
Macbeth has occasionally been  given to mezzos,<<<

And as been mentioned before here, Irene  Dalis sang Lady Macbeth at the
Met. Most people were amazed, surprised and  very pleased with her performance.

Best,
Michael

Michael J.  McPherson

containing only  the words:  SIGNOFF  OPERA-L
To  stay subscribed but TURN OFF mail, send a message  to
[log in to unmask] containing only the words:  SET OPERA-L  NOMAIL