Subject: Re: Tosca and high Cs
From: Geoffrey Riggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 19 Jun 2017 23:09:03 -0400

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 10:54:44 -0400, Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>By the way, it was mentioned that Tosca has "just" five high Cs.
>Very few other lyrico/spinto roles have as many.
>
>I took a look at Leonie's repertoire, she of the legendary top
>register.
>
>The following roles have no high Cs (or higher) -
>
>Elsa, Elisabeth, Sieglinde, Kundry, Senta, Walkuere Brunnhilde ;-),
>Elizabetta di Valois, Desdemona, the Forza Leonora, Salome,
>Chrysothemis, Ariadne, Marschallin and Fidelio. (I won't swear
>to Kundry, but I think that's right). I could be missing a few, but
>that isn't the point.
>
>Of her other oft performed roles, only the Kaiserin, as far as I know,
>has as many, and Turandot may, but there aren't many.

===========

[G.R.]  Oh, Turandot certainly does (the riddle scene).  The only other ones
I can think of are Aida (a Leonie Aida survives, from San Francisco, I
believe?) and, of course, Lady Macbeth, where she generally had a big success.

Medea (or Medee), which she also did (in the Italian version), has one
optional high C at the close of Act II.  But in the only document I've heard
of her assumption of this role (from the early '70s), she opts for the
(slightly) lower ending instead.  Curious, since she is in glowing voice on
this occasion (I've always thought the very early '70s is her finest period).

Cheers,

Geoffrey