Subject: Mirella Freni as Aida - was Tosca
From: Ulrik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 19 Jun 2017 16:16:39 -0400

On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 17:57:20 -0400, R PRADA <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Anyhoo, Freni sang Aida after Herbert von K made her an offer she could not refuse. Big
mistake and the decision was made between a rock and a hard place. She had to take it
easy after that.

Dear Roberta,

In what way was it a big mistake for Ms Freni to sing Aida with Mr von Karajan, even if her
voice was not a typical "Aida" voice? She still had a very long career with beautiful singing
right to the end. She sang Aida again, at least in Houston with Domingo and Ghiurov some
years later, she had great successes in another punishing Verdi part (Elisabetta) - and also
did Elvira in Ernani (which was probably less of a success but not bad in my view, given her
voice type). She sang other heavy roles later on, such as Fedora and Manon Lescaut - and
Lisa etc.

So I really wonder what you mean by "big mistake" - and also by "she had to take it easy
after that".

Kind regards

Ulrik