Subject: Re: Toscaitis?
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Jun 2017 09:09:51 -0700

Opalais has been seemingly having vocal problems.  The voice has hardened
and thinned out.  I would guess Gelb decided to pay her off and pull her
not wanting to jeopardize the new Tosca.  He has already lost Kaufmann
although the rising star of Grigolo will certainly fill the bill -
personally I prefer a more sunny Italian sound as Cavaradossi.  Too bad
their isn't a real, Tebaldi/Stella like Italian spinto around.  There are a
few good ones but no one remotely in that category.  My first Tosca's were
Tebaldi, Kirsten, Crespin and Rysanek.  I have a high bar.  All were
glorious in their different ways.

Donald