Subject: Re: Tosca in General
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 19 Jun 2017 08:24:04 -0700

Not well I think.  Cossotto had a blazing top for a while as a mezzo but
she was no Stignani or Simionato in that department.  They retained their
top registers till the end, she did not.  She did make a recording in the
late 70's I believe for Cetra where she did soprano arias.  I don't
remember everything but she did Abigaille's Ben io t'invenni and the
complete scena of Ma dall'arido stelo divulsa.  I haven't heard it in years
but as I remember, she had the notes, but they were tight and effortfull -
almost like someone was squeezing her colllione.  It was not pleasant.
Stignani and Simionato both had top C's that were better than many of the
soprano's they sang with.  Stignani it is said probably could have had a
career as a dramatic soprano if she had wanted.  Long after she retired,
Elena Obratsova sang La mamma morta in concert but I think it was somewhere
in the bass clef.  Its on Youtube if you want to check it out.  Dolora
Zajick did sing a few soprano roles but they were ones that mezzo's
traditionally extended themselves for - Santuzza, Lady Macbeth and late in
her career, Ortrud.

Donald