Subject: Re: Tosca/Jeritza
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Jun 2017 21:21:22 -0700

This is very interesting.  I know there were others singing Tosca but it
was basically Jeritza's gig at the Met during that decade from 1921-32.
What I found most interesting - and I have seen this before while trolling
the Met archives - is that a critic from a major New York newspaper was
given this much space for a review of a singer who wasn't a major star at
the time in her first assumption of a role at the Met.  Today, the NY Times
wouldn't give that much space for one of its senior reviews to write about
even a star singer doing something at the Met for the first time.  Indeed,
this type of an event wouldn't even be reviewed.   Vettori is a singer I
have long wondered about.  Evidently she was born in Italy in 1890 but
raised and trained in the US and is buried in Henderson, NC.  The other two
were Clara Jacobo who I believe was born in Massachusetts or Rhode Island,
 had a fairly substantial career in Italy but was featured at the Met from
1928 to 1935.  She returned to Italy and ended her life as a nun.  Finally,
Leonora Corona - a Texas born soprano who sang at the Met from 1927 to
1935.  All three were sort of back-ups for Ponselle.  Corona had over 100
performances.  I've never heard recordings by any of the three but all seem
to have garnered good reviews, Vettori and Jacobo especially.  Anybody on
the list have anything to add?

Donald