Subject: Re: Ponselle/Puccini (was: Tosca in general)
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Jun 2017 19:39:24 -0400

Here's Ponselle's own view as recorded in PONSELLE, A SINGER'S LIFE:

"Except for Tosca, I had reservations about most of the Puccini roles;
either my physique was too out of character (a five foot seven, weighing
one forty, I would hardly have been a credible Cio-Cio-San!), or, more to
the point, my voice was both too large and too dark-colored for most of his
heroines. Natural as Tosca might have been, it would have been very hard to
keep my emotions in check, especially during the second act--and it was a
role so thoroughly associated with Jeritza at the Metropolitan that it
would have been hard to establish myself in it."

Vesna