Subject: Re: Tosca in general
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Jun 2017 16:12:25 -0700

I think I will weigh in on this and ramble a bit.  First off, Ponselle
might have been tempted to do Tosca but in her years at the Met it was the
almost sole property of Maria Jeritza who was one of Puccini's favorites.
Jeritza was a massive star - up there with Ponselle and Rethberg.  By the
time Jeritza left the Met Ponselle might have had second thoughts about
Tosca.  Jeritza had been the Met's Minnie after Destinn and its first
Turandot.  Milanov's Met Tosca's came twenty-five years into the roll for
her - it was one of her first assignments in Yugoslavia and she had a
notable success with it in the early forties in Buenos Aires.  In the 40's
at the Met it was the property of Grace Moore and Milanov didn't have the
clout to demand it if she wanted it - remember, she and Johnson had a
mutual dislike for each other.  As for Sondra Radvanovsky, if I am not
mistaken, Tosca was in her rep before Norma and there is no reason a great
Norma can't be a great Tosca.  If you can sing the role, you can sing the
role.  Period.  Certain things you don't sing together in the same season,
but singing is singing and technique is technique.  I'd love to hear Sondra
as Minnie and even Turandot.  She has the top, the volume, the cut and
edge, and the technique to pretty much do whatever she wants.

The French language excerpts with Crespin date to 1961, a year when the
voice had no problems.  Paul Finel is the Cavaradossi and I believe Rene
Bianco is the Scarpia.  Pretre conducts.  It presents a good part of her
Tosca and is fabulous.  If you can find it, there is a French language
Otello with Crespin as Desdemona and the great Jose Luccioni as Otello.  I
believe it from 1955 and it too is fabulous.  For the first 15 years of her
career, she really was a French Tebaldi (of course, she was half Italian).
Another of my favorite Tosca's was Leonie Rysanek.  It's probably a good
sample of what Jeritza's Tosca was like.  It was all over the place,
hystrionically and vocally but wow, those top notes were - hit you in the
eyes like the proverbial great pizza pie....for me it was amore....

I heard Tebaldi's Tosca late in her career and she was fabulous even if the
top was problematic.  Albanese did have secure and fairly big top notes,
but the rest of the voice was small, the chest register virtually
non-existent and for me, this negates any positive qualities she had as
Tosca.  Yes, I've heard the broadcast and yes, she nails much of the role,
but it really wasn't for her voice.  Tosca needs three things, voice, more
voice and conviction.  Albanese succeeded on conviction, she really didn't
have the voice for the role.  Kirsten was a whole other thing.  Yes, she
was a lyric soprano but she had a spinto cut to the voice, brilliant,
perfectly placed and produced high notes and she knew how to use her voice
with the proper accents on the consonants.  Its an old Italian vocal trick
probably learned from her training in Italy in the 30's.  She also had
strength in the middle and at the bottom of her voice.

The point is, there are no set rules.  Each singer, each voice in
individual and it is best to know what suits you and what doesn't.  Freni
had a soft grained, luxurious voice.  It was sizeable.  Probably three
sizes bigger than Albanese but Albanese had cut at the top of the voice.
She also seems to have gotten Tosca out of her system rather quickly.  I
don't think it was in her rep very long.  Of course, at the end, after she
left the Met she did some silly things like Aida, but what the heck, she
was already in her late 50's and had nothing to lose.

Enough rambling - its about 110 here in Fountain Hills and I am going to
jump in the pool.

Donald