Subject: Re: Ponselle/Puccini (was: Tosca in general)
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Jun 2017 18:55:01 -0400

Puccini supposed said, "What a pity I've never heard this voice before."
It's a story I've never quite understood (or never quite believed), since
she had many recordings and Puccini kept up with music.

As for never singing Puccini, the Met (where she concentrated her career)
had other singers for that repertory such as Jeritza. Their performances
were assigned to them, and for the most part they did not cross over into
other's specialties.

Ponselle did, however, sing Vissi d'arte at a Met concert, and Un bel di at
the Puccini memorial concert.