Subject: Tosca in General
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Jun 2017 18:33:47 -0400

Being an old "Bel Canto" man, 'Tosca" is not one of MY Operas, but I revere
Callas #1 as having everything this work needs to succeed including a very
open voiced, up front, sexually provocative Cavarodossi in Di Stefano, the
subtlest Scarpia in Gobbi and of course Di Sabata as Maestro in excelcis.
Callas, without saying is outstanding and legitimizes the entire
enterprise.

Off record, and realizing I never chased "Tosca" like I chase "Norma" I've
heard Caballe, Olivero, Marton, Miraciuou, and Scotto live.  Marton, before
her wobbling decline filled out the role admirably without that added touch
of "Italianata" Scotto provided by nature and Caballe had by
affinity. Still, a great assumption.  We had Scotto in the MET's Cleveland
tour and despite an evident decline she knew instinctively how to navigate
the hazards.  A late career triumph caught at just the right moment.  I saw
Miraciuou at the Monnaie in Brussels, and the vocalism in a small space
matched the outsized characterization.  Caballe at the MET was vocal ear
candy, even if the eye often confused her as a parade float in full, self
absorbed sail.

Then came Olivero on a MET tour in Cleveland with Pavarotti - despite
diminished volume in a venue that was more barn than hall  she obliterated
all contenders and garnered a massive ovation.  I'll never forget it and
can still summon up the alchemy of her astounding, unmistakable sound.