Subject: Re: Tosca in general
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Jun 2017 22:21:06 +0000

In reality one can't always believe what singers say, especially Callas, who sometimes came across a bit snobbish. I read that Victoria de los Angeles, when asked why she never sang Tosca, said that she could not cope with the character of Tosca. She could not understand how a woman could kill a man, then put candles next to him in remorse or words to that affect. Unless I have totally lost it, that is a true story.  No one loved Victoria more than I still do, but IMO, the real reason she never sang Tosca was because she knew that she did not have the right voice for that role.  But then, I could be wrong, it would not be the first time-LOL!