Subject: Tosca and Puccini
From: R PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Jun 2017 14:04:03 -0400

Puccini does not write in Brel canto style, with phrases that taper to begin and end.
Puccini marks his scores heavily and asks for phrases that amp up in volume and intensity at the end. The lyric voice is happier in the tapered phrase. The orchestral settings adhere to that esthetic as well.
It takes intense sound and steely determination in some Puccini roles. Mimi and Musetta are quite ok for lyric voices, but Tosca is more demanding. It needs a. If, meaty sound, like Manon Lescaut and Minnie.
Turandot is best left to dramatics. Liu is lyric, but even there the ending phrases are flat out singing.
It is just that the role is short and has few outbursts.

RP
Sent from my iPhone