Subject: Re: Toscaitis?
From: "Takis Pavl." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Jun 2017 06:34:22 +0000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_DOq1Ic198

This is how a lyric soprano sounds in spinto/dramatic roles. Miscast. I'm so tired of hearing lyric sopranos in these roles. On record they can sound lovely but in the house you're always struggling to hear them over the brass instruments in any dramatic moment or in lower passages and you're waiting for those few lyrical phrases where they're sweet to hear their voices. I recently heard a proper spinto soprano as Butterfly,  Sae Kyung Rim and it was obvious from the first note to the last that this is the voice the role needs. She also sang the role in Washington last month and next month she'll be in Verona I believe.

Oh yes, there are the high Cs, naturally easy for a light voice like Gheorghiu's but they're notes that produce no excitement. Then why not get a coloratura who sings the Queen of the night, she'll have even freer high Cs. Angelina looked pretty in her costume, moved like a prima donna on stage but that is not enough to make a Tosca. On film maybe but in the house the voice, even in Convent Garden is just not enough. And Angelina would sell her soul to the devil to produce just one high C like Tebaldi's in her best Toscas. Just play Tebaldi's MET Tosca from 1956 and you realise why the role needs this type of soprano.

Tosca has become a role free for all since it's so popular, sells tickets and sopranos can pay their bills. It remains a spinto/dramatic soprano role. The lyrics and coloraturas make honest attempts but the role just needs a different voice.

Back to Opolais, I never understood in the first place why this singer was getting so much attention...
Takis