Subject: Re: Toscaitis?
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 17 Jun 2017 09:30:35 -0700

I am so glad Max mentioned Dorothy Kirsten.  She was one of my first
Tosca's not to mention Butterfly and Manon Lescaut.  Yes, she was
marvelous.  None of us knew how old she was and the knowledge now makes
everything even more remarkable.  When I first heard her in 1966 she was
already 56!  I was at her Met Farewell and then return as Tosca when she
was 69.  Amazing.  She, Gheorghiu and Olivero had lots in common besides
blazing high C's.  You can get away with roles a size or two bigger than
you are if you don't scream and have the vocal technique and know how to
sing on the words.  All three seem to have mastered this.  Gheorghiu is a
singer who continues to thrill me.  It has always been a beautiful voice
and her handling of it has never been less than masterly.  I've enjoyed her
in roles I thought she should never have gone near but she always managed
to carry it off. I might have to listen a bit more carefully, but she
always managed to make her points.  I know the reputation as the Vampire
Lady but she seems to be a genuine fan and admirer of the great Virginia
Zeani so that is a big plus in my book!

I have already posted once today so I will go back to that post, I woke up
about 3:00 AM Arizona time to get something to drink and of course, checked
out my iPhone and saw the email about Dimitri Hvorostovsky.  It tears at
your heart.  I thought that was Stephen Costello singing with Dima.  Life
can be so cruel.  Did anyone really think that there could be a good
outcome?  I hate to say this but we can only wish that he does not suffer.
Forget the sublime voice, he seems to be a genuinely nice man and as with
all of us, there are family and friends who love him and will suffer along
with him.

Donald