Subject: Opera Depot - Question
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 15 Jun 2017 14:35:22 -0400

Question re the Opera Depot website: a lot of the listed recordings look yummy, but generally
speaking, is the sound good?  Yes, I know live performance sound varies and I certainly don't
expect HiFi sound (I have hundreds of live performances going back to the Mapleson
Cylinders), but you know what I mean - given decent source material, are these, generally
speaking, good quality live performance issues?  Also, any recommendations on the formats -
are the MP3 downloads adequate, or should one go with the CDs or FLAC?  I generally find
MP3 to be adequate for most live performances from the 50s-70s, but I have found there can
be differences in the quality of MP3 downloads.

Private replies fine, but other Listers might appreciate the info as well.

Thanks in advance-

Modify your settings: