Subject: Anna Bolena at Carnegie Hall 1966
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 17 Jun 2017 07:03:01 -0400

I was there and my impression, fifty years later, is not as
positive as Max's, though I have not heard it since that
night and that is a long time ago.

I am not a fan of Marilyn Horne in much of anything except
American songs and a few other lieder and orchestral pieces.
What struck me initially as a miracle became, in a very short time,
a sledge hammer of incessant noise and vocal overkill. Enough
on her. I'm in a very small minority. So be it.

Souliotis had some great moments, but it ended on a really sour
note. The final scene was a mess, lots of iffy intonation and a vague
attempt at a trill. You just can't sing this music without a trill.
But she was exciting and understood how it all should go. A brave,
but very flawed attempt.

Janet Baker was sublime, and we knew we were in the presence
of something special. Her sense of repose was remarkable.

It was an interesting evening, at the least.

My thoughs are with Dmitri Hvorostovsky and his struggles.

Bob