Subject: Re: Anna Bolena, AOS 1966
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Jun 2017 23:36:39 -0500

Max:

     I heard that particular performance.  Suliotis is in much better form than she was in the London/Decca commercial recording of 1969, by which time the jungle rot had already taken root.  Marilyn Horne is stupendous on both, but she really stands out on the Decca commercial recording because of the deficiencies of Suliotis.  There's a serious imbalance.   Another Jane Seymour who was spectacular is Shirley Verrett on the Sills recording.   I loved Beverly, but those three Donizetti Queens must have taken a terrible toll on her much too light voice.  The way she shifted (or rather stripped) gears to plunge into the chest register, as exciting as it was to hear, made me think, "Holy shit!  She's shredding her whole voice!"   It also surprises me that Sills lasted as long as she did.   But back to Horne and Verrett, woe betide any Anna Bolena who had to sing opposite either ONE of them.

     Yeah, zem WERE the days!