Subject: Butterfly wants 2b American Re: Madama Butterfly
From: "David M. Wagner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Jun 2017 22:05:33 -0400

I'd say that heightens her tragedy: she's bought a pig in a poke; hitched her horse to the wrong wagon; made a sacrifice that *should* have worked out well for her (maybe it had for other Japanese girls she knew, idk), but wasn't going to work for her, Sharpless tries to tell her but should have told her sooner.

Sharpless - tragic character along with Suzuki, just behind Butterfly. How have people seen him react at the end in various productions? Make himself scarce? Throw a drink in Pinkerton's face, "Caine Mutiny Court Martial"-style? Deck him?

-David Wagner

Sent from my iPhone