Subject: Re: Toscaitis?
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Jun 2017 20:01:30 -0400

Stephen Charitan wrote:

"Opolais has a serviceable, now troubled, nondescript voice, great looks and
reasonably good stage presence."

I agree completely with that assessment of Opolais' voice: serviceable but nondescript and
mediocre.  I thought her Manon Lescaut was a dud because of that.  No amount of leg-
spreading and carnal embracement on stage can create as much genuine sexual frisson as
can a great, sexy voice like Crespin's or Tebaldi's.  At the last Tucker Gala, the quality gap
between Opolais and the other soprano participants was glaring.

It is pretty clear to me that Gelb has featured Opolais as much as he has because she looks
good in HD, not because she has a particularly fine voice.

MDW