Subject: Re: Madama Butterfly
From: London Tier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Jun 2017 15:42:53 -0700

Wow. I’m sure her instructor for Music Hum must have been challenged by
this response. It does seem to me that somebody didn’t do their work
preparing this young viewer for the experience. Even assuming one's
antennae are fully up looking to be offended by orientalism and
“yellowface,” this opera, while providing those in spades (sic) is also
more complex than that. In my experience, North American audiences
completely miss the basic fact that this is already a very
*anti-American*opera,
in which Pinkerton is a Bad Person, and you are supposed to thrill to the
suffering of the noble, if fallen woman at the hands of a callow youth.
(cf. La traviata, etc.)

In a way, it is like _Ramona_, the old California “play of the Missions,”
in which the Indians are noble, but innocent; the Latins (the Missionaries)
are sympathetic, and the Yankees are crude, mercenary oppressors. The fact
that the descendants of those same money-grubbing Yankees loved the book
and made it the foundational text of their fantasies of an “old” California
only points to how complex our identifications with art can be. I would
wish that the student you quote had allowed herself as complex a field of
intersection.