Subject: Re: Rysanek and Brunnhilde
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 14 Jun 2017 00:10:19 -0500

Kenneth:
    Thanks so much for sharing this.  What a treat to hear such a rarity!  Rysanek's flaming top pours out like liquid lava.  She was in her very late twenties here --- actually really too young to be doing the complete three volume role of Brunnhilde -- not to even mention Isolde.  Also, she was doing this for a film, which is very different than doing the whole role.  Had she chosen to follow this "hochdramatichesopran" repertoire, would she have been able to sustain it?  Would her career have lasted as long as it did?  The Nilsson voice was already gathering steam in Europe and South America, and they would have been pitted against each other.
    Rysanek was a very bright singer, and obviously she decided against such a path, and it was probably for the best.  She excelled as the Wagnerian "junglishdramatichesopran" ("the blondes" like Elsa, Elisabeth, Senta, Seigliende, etc.) and became THE Strauss soprano of her time.  She sang until shortly before her death in 1997 and had a career and following to rival none in her repertoire.
    I think she made the right decision ----------- Brunnhilde and Isolde never happened because it wasn't supposed to. It was to Rysanek's total gain.