Subject: Re: Singers taking multiple roles in operas
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Jun 2017 12:18:54 -0400

On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 11:39:11 -0400, Frank Cadenhead
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 08:28:37 -0400, Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
>wrote:
>>In Vienna -
>>Lucia Popp sang Barbarina, Susanna and the Countess
>>many times each.
>-----
>I was a young soldier in Germany and, because the dollar was then strong, I
could
>buy tickets to the 1963 Salzburg Festival. At the Nozzi, I was immediately struck
>by the Barbarina and looked at the program to find her easy-to-remember name.
>
>Frank Cadenhead

Correction. Fortunately Salzburg has a nice history section on their site. Popp was
the Erster Knabe in the Flute that year and, instead of Nozzi, she sang Artemis in
Gluck's Iphigenie in Aulis at the Felsenreitenschule. That is where I remembered
looking again at the program. Here is the cast:
Karl Böhm, Conductor
Günther Rennert, Stage director
Lucia Popp, Artemis
Walter Berry, Agamemnon