Subject: Re: Singers taking multiple roles in operas
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Jun 2017 09:05:13 -0400

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 6:44 PM, Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> There are probably sopranos who began as a minor Valkyrie before moving on
> to Sieglinde and Brunnhilde, but I must confess I can't think of any.

Love the examples that others mentioned for Flagstad, Harshaw, Modl, and
Nilsson!

Lilli Lehmann, another famous Sieglinde and Brunnhilde, was one of the
Valkyries and Rheinmaidens at the RING cycle premiere at Bayreuth.

Bob mentions Lucia Popp in three LE NOZZE roles in Vienna. Indeed (and what
a marvelous artist!). I think the Vienna Staatsoper with their approach to
hire great singers for their permanent ensemble, esp. in the older postwar
times, can be a great place to look for multiple roles in the same opera.
(Yesterday, on another thread, I mentioned Cebotari and Guden as Cherubino,
Susanna, and Countess. My favorite, and perhaps easiest, pick for multiple
roles in the same performance are the four heroines and four bass-baritone
roles in LES CONTES D'HOFFMANN.)

Best, Vesna