Subject: Behrens sang Norma? Who sez?
From: albert innaurato <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Jun 2017 23:10:37 -0500

That is the craziest thing I've ever read. I'm inclined to say she didn't
ever. Is there documentation? Her 'prentice period was short, she began
late and somebody liked her because although hired as an "apprentice" she
sang the Countess in Figaro right away and was stuck in small roles only
for a season or so. She sang Fiordaligi in her early days, she did Rusalka
in Munich (I saw one, very notable for the amazing performance of Kurt
Moll). her Met debut was as Giorgetta in Tabarro. She was clueless and ugly
sounding but she snapped her fingers on the word "basta" and the virulent
scum cried, "that acting"!

Salome with Von Karajan established her but her entry role in many theaters
was Fidelio. She became a favorite at the Met and added Mozart's Elletra,
Vitellia, Donna Anna (four times), Tosca (fifteen times. the first season
was Sinopoli's only Met engagement, the remaining six were conducted by
Badea, more her style). she did eight Santuzzas. She did five Sieglindes in
NY and also did some at Munich, she hated the role she said. She did most
of the heavy Wagner roles but only did Isolde six times at the Met (Jane
Eaglen did twelve).

It strikes me that the originator of this thread had Jane in mind, SHE did
Norma (unspeakable), 4 Brunnhildes AND Turandot (unlistenable). Jane, in
fact, sang Norma a lot and recorded it.

The best Behrens live in my experience and opinion was Marie in Wozzeck,
and I think her best document is the Empress in a pirate DVD of Frau with
G. Jones and W. Berry very impressive as The Dyer and his wife. I don't
think she did that role very often but she only recorded the Dyer's wife.

I can think of a small army of people whose lives would be shortened by the
very idea that Behrens did Norma!

AI