Subject: Re: Singers taking multiple roles in operas
From: Wendell Eatherly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Jun 2017 06:56:34 -0400

On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 22:27:36 -0400, MTQ <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have always been a little confused by this.  Isn't there a point where they are both
singing at the same time?  If so, how did this work?  I've only seen the opera once in
Amsterdam and for some reason I remember both sopranos being on stage together.

>Or am I mistaken about there being a duet?
>
>Thanks.
>
>MTQ
>=====
>
>Gwyyneth Jones sang both soprano roles in Frau in the same performance (her daughter
& here schoolmates were at the performance) J

From a New York Times article, "LAST-MINUTE 'SAVES' ON THE OPERA STAGE":

"Miss Jones sight-read the Empress's scenes from behind a darkened scrim, while an
actress mimed her movements. In scenes where the Empress and the Dyer's Wife are
both onstage at the same time, Miss Jones turned her face from the audience to sing the
Empress's lines, which she had quickly memorized backstage. Fortunately, the Empress
and the Dyer's Wife have very little interaction; the only portion of the opera in which the
characters' voices overlap is the final quartet, and at that point another soprano sang the
Empress's lines from offstage while Miss Jones, in the role of the Dyer's Wife, was on
stage with the mimed Empress."

The whole article's here:

https://tinyurl.com/yaumah7v