Subject: Re: Singers taking multiple roles in operas
From: Wendell Eatherly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Jun 2017 06:42:22 -0400

On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 18:44:01 -0400, Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Many singers have sung more than one role in an opera (although usually not
>in the same performance). Diana Damrau, for instance, sang Pamina at the Met
>and then switched to Queen of the Night a few days later. Sopranos often
>used to begin as Sophie before moving to Octavian and ending their careers
>as the Marschallin (Elisabeth Soderstrom, for one). I know that Leonie
>Rysanek took on the three soprano roles in Elektra, although she never sang
>the title role live. Are there other singers who have done three or more
>roles in one opera, or other operas that lend themselves to such feats?

"Nozze di Figaro" certainly lends itself to such feats. At the Met, Stratas sang four roles: one
of the peasant girls, Barbarina, Susanna, and Cherubino. Several singers, including Hong,
Donath and Söderström, have sung Susanna and the Countess, and Marie McLaughlin moved
from Susanna to Marcellina.