Subject: Re: Singers with both Norma and Elektra in repertoire?
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Jun 2017 23:31:21 -0400

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 9:45 PM, David Shengold <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Vesna, how about Radmila Bakocevic? She certainly sang Norma,  and I know
> she sang *some * Strauss...

Hi David, Rich, and list,

You are right about Strauss, David-- I believe she sang Salome but I don't
think that Elektra was in her repertoire.

When I read Rich's query about multiple roles in the same opera, I thought
about Lisa Della Casa singing not three, but four roles in DER
ROSENKAVALIER, which I believe I first learned from you, as you once
mentioned it on the list, and then I read it in one of her interviews.

I also thought about LE NOZZE. The Wiener Staatsoper archives show that
both Maria Cebotari and Hilde Gueden appeared as Cherubino, Susanna, and
Countess Almaviva.

A few more come to mind: the four heroines in LES CONTES D'HOFFMANN
(Olympia, Giulietta, Antonia, Stella) are sometimes sung by the same
soprano - Irmgard Seefried and Anja Silja in Vienna, Edda Moser and
Catherine Malfitano at Salzburg, and several at the Met: Joan Sutherland,
Anna Moffo, and Carol Vaness among others; Sena Jurinac sang 3 of the 4
heroines (Giulietta, Antonia, Stella) in the same performance in Vienna and
I'm sure there are more instances with others (Beverly Sills must have done
it at NYCO as she recorded all four roles in studio).

At more than one venue, all four bass-baritone roles (Coppélius, Lindorf,
Dr. Miracle, Dappertutto) were sung by the same singer (which I believe was
contrary to Offenbach’s idea),-- Van Dam, Ramey, Treigle, London, Tibbett,
Singher, Terfel, Abdrazakov, …

Boris Christoff famously sang all three bass roles in BORIS GODUNOV, Boris,
Pimen, and Varlaam, though I don’t know if he ever did it in the same stage
performance as he did it on his two studio recordings.

Best, Vesna