Subject: Re: Singers with both Norma and Elektra in repertoire/Medea
From: Patrick Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Jun 2017 16:32:22 -0400

I don't know of any other soprano who was as renowned as Callas during the
time period she was singing Medea.
First performance was in 1953 in Florence, the last at La Scala in 1962.
There were 30 performances in seven cities. Prior to Callas' 1953 Medea at La
 Scala, the theatre had not mounted Medea since 1909.
I saw Olivero do it twice in Dallas and once in Kansas City. This was in
the production that had originally been designed for Callas. There is a film
of  Caballe, Vickers, and Obratzsova in an outdoor venue. Fascinating
production,  with more than a hint that Neris had a "thing" for Medea.
It's one of my favorite operas.

Patrick Byrne

In a message dated 6/12/2017 2:55:30 P.M. Central Daylight Time,